Thursday, December 3, 2009

I guess you're never really ready

A really good friend of mine had a really bad day. Her elderly father had a stroke.  He's nearly 90.  He has done every single thing he's wanted to do in life. He loves God, his family and has been blessed indeed.  As I stood in the hall of the ER with her, her eyes filled up with tears and splashed down her cheeks.  Through quivering lips she said, "He's ready, I guess I'm not."
Strange, a sixty year old woman should be ready to let go of her dad. She's taken care of him on a daily basis for the last decade.  She knows he has no regrets, and neither does she.
Strange, even in the best of circumstances, I guess you're never really ready to let go. 

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Listen to this: http://s0.ilike.com/play#Sara+Groves:What+Do+I+Know%3F:1615598:s14505799.8119644.1335855.0.1.79%2Cstd_1566badc48d19af9b34812d97759d8e2
(Sara Groves' "What Do I Know")

Heather said...

I guess it goes both ways - I always tell the kids they will forever be my babies - so that only means we have to have a mama & daddy there.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com