Thursday, October 23, 2008

It's amazing what a little break can do

I volunteer at our church's indigent clinic every Thursday night. I see patients that have no insurance or money, and afterwards, volunteers pray with these people and generally just love on them. We have lots of volunteers that come, and to be honest, we are somewhat of a family. Don't be impressed, there are lots of nights I don't want to go. Jerry my friend started the clinic about two years ago and although I love it, sometimes it's really a love-hate relationship. I hate it when I'd rather be at home, and I love it too much to stop doing it.

To be honest, the last few months I felt myself teetering on the edge of burn out. The month of October brought lots of activities, a mission trip, a cruise, so my Thursday nights have been filled with other things. It has been so good to have a break and guess what? I really wanted to be back there. Tonight was such a super night. I laughed so hard with my friends, volunteers and patients. Some of my patients wanted to know where I had been, they missed me. I was surprised they had got along fine without me the past few weeks, maybe a little disappointed they had. Mostly I felt energized! I was ready to do this thing that God has called me to do. It felt good.

What is the task that you are called to do that is sometimes just so hard? Take a break, take a little care of yourself, so you can take care of others. It's good to step back, relax and get your focus back on straight. You find that you miss it, and that you can't wait to do the thing your called to do. Lesson learned is this--- don't let yourself burn out. Sometimes the embers just needs to be stoked.

2 comments:

Heather said...

You are so right - Sometimes you need a break to feel that little tug back again that you are missing it. That helps you know you are doing something for the right reasons, not just doing it to do it, but rather, that you love it.

Heather said...

I want to hear your 5K results

 
Template by suckmylolly.com